Tobacco Free Sarpy (TFS) is working to make outdoor spaces in Sarpy County tobacco-free. Several city parks, sports facilities and even private businesses have prohibited tobacco. But it’s important to expand tobacco-free outdoor environments to more areas of Sarpy County.
- Tobacco use by adult role models at athletic or recreational events sends the wrong message to children and teens. We don’t want young people to connect tobacco with fun and healthy activities.
- Secondhand smoke is harmful even in outdoor environments. It can trigger asthma attacks and other respiratory effects.
- Cigarette butts are an unpleasant sight in outdoor spaces, but discarded cigarettes can also poison pets or wildlife and could even be consumed by toddlers.
How can you support tobacco-free facilities?
- Complete your community survey.
- Talk with the facilities managers.
- Take the idea to the facilities decision makers.
- Educate your community on the benefits of tobacco-free outdoor recreation areas.
TFS is gathering information about the tobacco policies of Sarpy County outdoor recreational facilities. If you are a facility decision maker, we want to hear from you. Please take a few minutes to complete a survey.
Interested in making your outdoor recreational facility tobacco-free? Contact TFS for your free tool kit!